With the rainy season upon us, we expect that many will be exposed to cough and colds especially children, both inside and outside the school.
What are the symptoms of common illnesses to watch out for during the rainy season?
1. Cough and Cold
Symptoms: this include sore throat, nasal symptoms, runny nose, and congestion. Fever is uncommon in adults, but a slight fever is possible. Children are more likely to have a fever with a cold
2. Flu or Influenza
Flu symptoms are similar to that of the cold but include sore throat, fever, headache and muscle ache and soreness, congestion and cough. Flu symptoms are usually more severe than cold symptoms and come on quickly.
3. Stomach Flu
This is an infection of the digestive system which affects the respiratory system. It is totally unrelated to the regular flu (influenza). Stomach flu is the second most common illness kids get, after respiratory infections like colds
What are the symptoms?
The early signs of stomach flu can be easy to miss, especially in babies and toddlers. Please be on the lookout for the following:
– Vomiting (more volume than usual everyday spit-up)
– Watery diarrhea
– Fussiness or irritability
– Acting more tired and sluggish than usual
– Decreased appetite
Older children may also complain of tummy cramps, muscle aches, and headaches.
What do I need to know or do?
1. Wash hands often with warm water and soap, especially when you use the bathroom, change diapers, and before and after you handle food
2. Stay hydrated always to flush out toxins from your body
3. Vitamin C is essential to preventing and managing colds and this you can find in your fruits and vegetables. Have at least 5 servings daily and 10 servings when infected. Wash all fruits and vegetables before eating them
4. Cook meat all the way through. This may prevent gastroenteritis caused by bacteria
5. Use of herbs and spices. You can grate your ginger and infuse in honey. Allow to steep for 48 hours and take some daily. This helps to deal with coughs, itchy throat and irritation
6. In the case of an infection and antibiotic is required, garlic is a quick one to reach as it is a potent broad spectrum herbal antiobic.
Rainy season is here so we must pay attention to our health and seek ways to prevent illness.
Lastly, Covid 19 is very real, please stay safe.